John was baptised at Cheriton Fitzpaine on 19 February 1843 to parents Joseph Yaw and Sarah Lavercombe [note 1]. He emigrated to New Zealand in 1872, and died there in 1919.
John married Mary Elizabeth Wood in Heavitree, Exeter in 1866. They soon emigrated to the South Island of New Zealand, where Mary Elizabeth died without apparently having any children.
John then married Alice Jane Bull at Invergargill in 1886. They had three children:
– John Sydney Yeo (see below)
– Alice Selina Yeo (1890–1983, married Charles Walter Evans at Invercargill in 1915)
– Arthur Joseph Yeo (1891–1968, married Mona Catherine Corless in a Catholic ceremony at Hastings in 1918, two children)
John Sydney Yeo (1866–1961, son of John Yeo and Alice Jane Bull) married Ruth Stephenson and had six children:
– Edna May Yeo (1909–1967, married John Stanway)
– John Yeo (1911–1973, married Thella Ava Whelan in 1935, six children)
– Arthur Leonard Yeo (1912–1967, married May Coveney, five children)
– Selwyn George Yeo (see below)
– Eric Yeo (1914–1951, married Amelia Sellars)
– Ruth Yeo (1916–1966, married Alfred Davis in 1938).
Selwyn George Yeo (1913–1985, son of John Sydney Yeo and Ruth Stephenson) was born at Invercargill. He married Ruby Leah Fahey at Invercargill in 1937. Their children included:
– Lancelot Arthur Yeo (1940–1968)
– Douglas Edward Yeo (1953–2020)
– Paul Richard Yeo (1957–1975).
If you are related to any of these people or can provide information about them, please use the Contact Us page to send us a message.
1. For more information see Descendants of Thomas Yea of Yea, Wiveliscombe.