Charles Yeo was baptised in the parish of St Stephen, near Launceston in 1775. His parents are recorded in the parish register as ‘Humpy and Phillipi Yeo’ – he was the fourth of seven children that Humphrey Yeo (1720–1762) and his wife Phillipa baptised there.
Charles appears to have moved away from St Stephen, because when he married Jane Phillips there in 1782 he is recorded as a sojourner (i.e. not resident in the parish). However, they remained in the parish of St Stephen, and Charles was buried there in 1822.
Charles and Jane baptised three children at St Stephen:
– Thomas Yeo (see below)
– Phillipa Yeo (baptised 1785)
– Charles Yeo (baptised 1790).
Thomas Yeo (1782–1833, son of Charles Yeo and Jane Phillips) married Ann Mathew at St Stephen in 1805. They had four children:
– Thomas Yeo (baptised 1809)
– William Yeo (see below)
– John Yeo (baptised 1814)
– Mary Ann Yeo (baptised 1820).
William Yeo (1811–1864, son of Thomas Yeo and Ann Mathew) married Ann Bray at Treneglos in 1843. They had three children:
– Charles Matthew Yeo (see below)
– Mary Ann Yeo (born 1846)
– Emma Yeo (born 1847)
before moving to Devonport and having three more children:
– William Henry Yeo (1850–1890, married Leah Alice Williams, five children)
– Thomas Yeo (born 1856)
– John James Yeo (1860–1924, died in Kent).
Charles Matthew Yeo (1844–1910, eldest son of Charles Yeo and Jane Phillips) moved to Barrow-in-Furness in Lancashire, where he married Eliza Bailey in 1877 [note 1]. They had two sons:
– William Yeo (see below)
– Charles Adam Yeo (see below).
William Yeo (1880–1945, son of Charles Matthew Yeo and Eliza Bailey) married Emma Gregory [notes 2, 3]. They had at least eight children:
– Charles Yeo (1902–1973 [note 4], emigrated to the United States in 1923, married Florence Varney, three children)
– Emma Yeo (1903–1958, married Harold Lomas)
– Andrew Yeo (born 1903) confirmation required
– John Yeo (1905–1956)
– Agnes Yeo (1907–1974, married William Nicholls)
– William Yeo (born 1909, died as an infant)
– Annie Yeo (born 1911, died as an infant)
– James Yeo (1913–1993, married Eliza Jones)
– Doris Yeo (born 1918, died as an infant)
– Henry Yeo (1920–1979).
Charles Adam Yeo (1883–1934, son of Charles Matthew Yeo and Eliza Bailey) married Elizabeth Irving at Barrow-in-Furness in 1911. They had one son:
– William Charles Yeo (see below).
William Charles Yeo (1919–1966, son of Charles Adam Yeo and Elizabeth Irving) married Phyllis Irene Atkins. They had four children:
– Bernard Yeo (1941–1961)
– Kathleen Ann Yeo (born 1943)
– Terence Edward Yeo (born 1944)
– Barbara Alice Yeo (born 1947).
If you can add to or correct the information shown, please use the Contact Us page.
1. Some of the information about this family was provided by Sheila’s correspondents Ben Yeo, Russell Yeo, Sharon Weatherby and Sue Lewis.
2. The 1911 census records William at 46 Howe Street in the Hindpool area of Barrow-in-Furness, occupation ‘Furnace plater’s helper’. His wife Emma and children Charles (age 9), Emma (8), John (6), Agnes (3) and recently-born Annie are also listed.
3. The 1939 Register records William at 31 Howe Street, occupation ‘Furnace plater’s helper’. His wife Emma and children John (age 34, a bricklayer’s labourer) and James (26, a ‘heavy ordnance fitter) are also listed.
4. The 1911 census lists Charles Yeo living with Peter and Elizabeth Perry – see Charles Perry or Yeo?.