John Edward Yeo (1864–1930) worked on the railways, so it is not surprising that the 1911 census return reveals that he had moved several times. His address is 74 Nuttall Street in the Edge Hill area of Liverpool, and his occupation is recorded as ‘railway carriage department foreman’. John and his wife Charlotte had married in nearby Bootle twenty years earlier.
In the 1911 return, John’s birthplace is given as Brook (a village on the Isle of Wight) and Charlotte’s as Alton in Hampshire. Their children are:
– Charlotte Hilda Yeo age 19, born in Leeds [note 1]
– Ada Yeo age 16, born in Bolton [note 2]
– Edward Yeo age 14, born in Bolton [note 3]
– Nora Yeo age 9, born in Liverpool [note 4].
Similar information is given in the 1901 census for Liverpool, when the family was living at 16 Picton Grove, only a short distance from Nuttall Street. The three eldest children are listed, as is John’s 70-year-old widowed father-in-law Edwin Allam.
John’s parents George Henry Yeo and Mary Ann Knowlson had married in the Plymouth parish of Stoke Damerel in 1861. George was a coastguard [note 5], and John had been born at the coastguard station at Brook.
If you are related to this family or can add anything to the information shown here, please use the Contact Us page to send us a message. We are grateful to Clare Bishop, who has helped us add much detail to this page.
1. Charlotte Hilda Yeo (1892–1978) married Joseph Miller in 1925.
2. Ada Yeo (1894–1980) married Robert Miller in 1920.
3. Edward was born in Liverpool in 1896. He died on 3 September 1916 while on active service in France. He was a private soldier, a sniper with the Liverpool Regiment, and is commemorated on the war memorial at Thiepval.
4. Nora Yeo (1901–1983) married Ernest Albert Foster in Liverpool in 1927.
5. His brother William Sanders Yeo was also a coastguard.