John Edward Yeo (1864–1930) worked on the railways, so it is not surprising that the 1911 census return tells us that he had moved several times. His address is 74 Nuttall Street in the Edge Hill area of Liverpool and his occupation is recorded as ‘railway carriage department foreman’. John and his wife Charlotte had married in nearby Bootle twenty years earlier.
In the 1911 return, John’s birthplace is given as Brook (a village on the Isle of Wight, a long way from any railways) and Charlotte’s as Alton in Hampshire. Their children are:
– Charlotte Hilda Yeo age 19, born in Leeds
– Ada Yeo age 16, born in Bolton
– Edward Yeo age 14, born in Bolton [note 1]
– Nora Yeo age 9, born in in Liverpool
Similar information is given in the 1901 census for Liverpool, when the family was living at 16 Picton Grove, only a short distance from Nuttall Street. The three eldest children are listed, as is John’s 70-year-old widowed father-in-law Edwin Allam.
John’s parents George Henry Yeo (1831–1859) and Mary Ann Knowlson (1839–1908) had married in the Plymouth parish of Stoke Damerel in 1861.
If you are related to this family or can add anything to the information shown here, please use the Contact Us page to send us a message.
1. John Edward Yeo, born in Liverpool in 1896. Died on 3 September 1916 while on active servicein France as a private soldier with the Liverpool Regiment; commemorated on the Thiepval war memorial.