John Yeo (baptised at Hatherleigh in 1572) and Rebecca Rolle were related. Their descendants – in Hatherleigh, Merton, South Tawton, Virginia and Prince Edward Island – therefore have dual Yeo lines of descent.
Rebecca’s mother Margaret Rolle née Yeo was John’s third cousin: John and Margaret were great grandchildren of brothers Robert Yeo (married Alice Walrond) and Nicholas Yeo (married Jane Loveis and Joane Lybbe) – see John Yeo and Alice Jeue.
John and Rebecca married at Hatherleigh in 1598. They had eleven children:
– John Yeo (see below)
– Jacquet Yeo (baptised in 1602 at Hatherleigh, married Thomas Finney)
– William Yeo (see William Yeo and Sarah Heathman)
– Leonard Yeo (1610–1670, emigrated to America)
– Samuel Yeo (c1612–c1687, married Lavinia Furse, one daughter)
– Margaret Yeo (1614–1643, did not marry)
– Bartholomew Yeo (1617–1693)
– Robert Yeo (1617–1617)
– Susan Yeo (1619–1638)
– Hugh Yeo (baptised in 1622 at Hatherleigh)
– Frances Yeo (1622–1623).
John Yeo (1600–1662, eldest son of John Yeo and Rebecca Rolle) married Ann Harding at Hatherleigh in 1629. They baptised five children there:
– Rebecca Yeo (baptised 1624)
– Mary Yeo (baptised 1627, married John Cory)
– John Yeo (1630–1691, married twice, son John Yeo baptised 1662)
– Samuel Yeo (baptised 1633, died as an infant)
– Samuel Yeo (see below).
Samuel Yeo (son of John Yeo and Ann Harding) was baptised at Hatherleigh in 1635. He spent some time in Virginia [note 1], but returned to England some years before his death and lived at Peters Marland [note 2]. Samuel had three children with his wife Elizabeth:
– Bartholomew Yeo (c1650–1689)
– John Yeo (baptised c1655)
– Rebecca Yeo (c1660–1737, married Samuel Seldon and emigrated to Virginia).
Please use the Contact Us page to comment on this family.
1. Recorded in Essex county in 1653.
2. See Samuel Yeo of Peters Marland.