The 1911 census for Rosapenna in the north west of County Donegal records 39-year-old coastguard John Yeo. With John are his wife Mabel (age 35) and their six children: John (15), Gladys (13), Douglas (7), Florence (6), Walter (4) and Henry (2). John and Mabel can read and write, as can the older children, and their religious affiliation is given as Church of Ireland.
John Yeo (1872–1915, a grandson of Elias Yeo and Elizabeth Symons of Swimbridge) was born at Littleham, near Exmouth. He married Cornish-born Mabel Walsh in Plymouth in 1895. Their seven children were:
– John Louis Yeo (born in Plymouth 1896)
– Gladys Beatrice Yeo (born in Plymouth 1897)
– Douglas Frederick Yeo (1903–1979)
– Florence Kate Yeo (born 1904)
– Walter Charles Yeo (born 1906)
– Henry Yeo (born in Co Antrim in 1908, married Evelyn Davey)
– Ernest Arthur Yeo (1912–1982, married Violet Litton).
The 1901 census for Withycombe Raleigh records John Yeo at 17 George Street, a 28-year-old merchant seaman living with his wife Mabel, two children and a lodger. They appear to have lived in Co Antrim before moving to Rosapenna, as Douglas, Florence, Walter and Henry were born there according to the information John has entered on the 1911 census return.
If you can add to or correct the information shown, please use the Contact Us page.