There are several parishes in Devon and Cornwall that have the same name as another parish some distance away, which can be confusing when carrying out research, so this list might be a useful guide. If you can add to or correct the information shown, please use the Contact Us page:
Ashford Between Barnstaple and Heanton Punchardon, sometimes referred to as Ashford by Barnstaple. Not to be confused with Ashford in Kent, where Sybil Joy Yew was buried in 1911.
Bickington Either the north Devon parish a short distance west of Barnstaple or the south Devon parish five miles west of Newton Abbot. There is also the parish of High Bickington, seven miles east of Great Torrington.
Bickleigh There is a parish called Bickleigh on the edge of Dartmoor, six miles north of Plymouth, and another in east Devon, five miles south of Tiverton.
Bradford This small Devon parish six miles north east of Holsworthy should not be confused with Bradford in Yorkshire (where Henry Ellis Yeo White was baptised in 1888) or Bradford in Wiltshire (usually referred to as Bradford on Avon), where Gyfford Long and Ann Yewe married in 1597.
Charles This small Devon parish some fourteen miles east of Barnstaple should not be confused with the parish of Charles the Martyr in Plymouth.
Halwell This north Devon parish is sometimes referred to as Halwell by Holsworthy (and is spelt Halwill on modern maps). There is another parish called Halwell near Totnes.
Huish The small parish of Huish in north Devon includes the former Yeo estate at Heanton Satchville. The parish of North Huish lies some eight miles from Totnes. The Somerset parish of Huish Champflower is three miles west of Wiveliscombe.
Jacobstowe Nowadays spelt with an e, this parish is in east Cornwall, twelve miles north of Launceston. Jacobstow in Devon (nowadays spelt without an e) is four miles north of Okehampton.
Lanteglos This north Cornwall parish is sometimes referred to as Lanteglos by Camelford to distinguish it from Lanteglos on the southern coast of the county (Lanteglos by Fowey), which includes the village of Polruan.
Littleham Either the north Devon parish three miles south west of Bideford or the south Devon parish adjacent to Exmouth.
Milton William Freeman and Jone Yew married at Milton in Kent in 1656; Annie Yaw was baptised at Milton in Lancashire in 1891. There are parishes in Devon called Milton Abbot and Milton Damerel.
Newlyn This parish is in south west Cornwall near Penzance, but no Yeo or variant events have been recorded there. St-Newyln-in-Pydar is a few miles south of Newquay and is also referred to as East Newlyn or Newlyn East; Thomas Yow and Elizabeth Jane married there in 1578.
Poughill Either the north Cornwall parish adjacent to Bude or the mid Devon parish between Crediton and Tiverton. Both are pronounced ‘Poffle’.
St Ives Hugh Yeow and Jane Hicks married in this west Cornwall parish in 1679. There are several other parishes of the same name in England.
St Mawgan Either the north Cornwall parish near Newquay (St Mawgan in Pydar) or the south Cornwall parish near Helston (St Mawgan in Meneage).
Stratton This north Cornwall parish was closely associated with Yeos for many years. No Yeo or variant events are recorded at Stratton-on-the-Fosse in Somerset, Stratton in Dorset or Stratton in Gloucestershire.
Whitstone Whitstone in Cornwall, adjacent to the River Tamar, is distinguished by its spelling and pronunciation from the Devon parish of Whitestone, west of Exeter.
Woolfardisworthy The parish of this name near Crediton is often confused with the parish of Woolfardisworthy, adjacent to Hartland. Both are pronounced ‘Woolsery’.
Places with more than one parish There are Yeo or variant records from more than one parish in several towns or cities, including Barnstaple, Bristol, Exeter, Ilfracombe, London, Plymouth and Tiverton.