John Yeo (1836–1919, son of Thomas Yeo and Grace Knill) was born in Ilfracombe but spent most of his life in nearby Mortehoe. He lived at Warcombe on high ground overlooking the sea and worked as a labourer.
John married Eliza Ashford at Mortehoe in 1856. Eliza was prominent locally; as well as looking after her family she ran a café, and with her son Alfred ran a pony and trap service bringing holidaymakers from Woollacombe. Ivor Gammon has researched Eliza’s life.
The 1911 census records John and Eiza at Sea View Cottage, Mortehoe. John is 64 and a general labourer for a golf club; Eliza is 71. With them are two unmarried sons, Sidney (35, a general labourer) and Alfred (32, a cab driver) and 19-year-old Eliza Ellis, daughter of their daughter Mary Eliza.
John and Eliza had fourteen children:
– William Yeo (1855–1855)
– James Yeo (1856–1858)
– Elizabeth (twin sister of James, 1856–1858)
– Thomas Yeo (born 1859, married Frances Wakeley and Dorcas Ann Fry, nine children)
– Sarah Jane Yeo (born 1863, married Frederick Smith)
– Samuel John Ashford Yeo (born 1864, married Eliza Ann Conibear, two sons)
– Edith Ellen Yeo (born 1868, married William Tucker Watts)
– Rhoda Eveline Yeo (born 1870, married Frank Davis)
– Mary Eliza Yeo (born 1872, married George Ellis in 1891, might also have married John Gammon)
– Frederick George Yeo (born 1874, married Florence Pittard in 1904, seven children)
– Sidney William Yeo (born 1877, married Caroline Ash in Warwickshire in 1918, three daughters)
– Alfred Yeo (born 1879, married Clarissa Ockenden in 1918, son Alfred Charles Yeo, see below)
– Bertha Florence Yeo (born 1881, married Edward Carroll)
– Alice Harriet Yeo (born 1883, married Edward Coles).
Alfred Charles Yeo (1925–1983, son of Alfred Yeo and Clarissa Ockenden) married Kathleen Willis in 1947 and had one son).
If you you are related to this family, or can add to or correct the information shown above, please use the Contact Us page.