Research by Mike Darch and David Yaw has discovered a royal proclamation from the National Archives (ref. C211/29/Y5) dated 1787. It relates to Thomas Yeaw, a brewer and pub owner living in Chelsea – though until recently living and working in Hammersmith – who was not fully mentally competent.
The king (George III) orders local commissioners to undertake an enquiry into Thomas’s affairs, which was subsequently held at the Goat in Boots pub in the Fulham Road. While the document concedes that Thomas ‘enjoys lucid moments’, these periods of lucidity are apparently ‘not sufficient for the government of himself’ or of his property.
Please use the Contact Us page to send us a message if you have any connection to Thomas Yeaw or to other early Yeo or variant families in the London area. This might include parishes that were not regarded as being in London at the time.
The following are among those that have been documented:
– A Nicholas Yeo was one of five men appointed in 1437 to distribute relief money in the City of London.
– William Yeo (1613–1660, son of Roger Yeo of Exeter) married in London and lived at Wandown House, Fulham.
– Reg Walter discovered that the Royal Exchange museum in London had on display a silver pint tankard inscribed ‘Richard Yeo att ye Blue Anchor 1645’ – this Richard Yeo has not been identified.
– Another Richard Yeo, ‘sonne of John Yeo late of the parish of St Clement Danes in the county of Middlesex taylor’ was apprenticed in 1686 for seven years to carpenter Henry Peirson.