Bartholomew was a son of Bartholomew Yeo and Agnes Rode. He married Margaret Ackland at the parish church of St Peter, Barnstaple in 1700.
Their son John Yeo was baptised at Swimbridge in 1701 and lived there until his death in 1789. He married Elizabeth Slowley in 1730 and had four sons:
– Samuel Yeo (1731–1772, married Elizabeth Burgess, four children including Samuel Burgess Yeo)
– John Yeo (1734–1795, married Mary Yeo at Swimbridge on 20 April 1768 [note 1])
– William Yeo (baptised 1736, married Margaret Bendle, four sons and three daughters including Elias Yeo and Samuel Yeo, see below)
– Henry Yeo (see Henry Yeo and Susannah Barrow)
Elias Yeo (1766–1832, son of William Yeo and Margaret Bendle) married Elizabeth Symons at Loxhore in 1796. They baptised eight children at Swimbridge:
– Samuel Yeo (see below)
– William Yeo (see below)
– Mary Yeo (1801–1875, married Nicholas German) marriage requires confirmation
– Grace Yeo (1804–1889, married Richard Jarman) is Grace part of this family?
– Elias Yeo (1806–1861, married Mary Mock, four children)
– Sarah Yeo (1809–1878, married William Ballmont)
– John Yeo (baptised 1811, married Grace Harding, three daughters)
– Thomas Yeo (1814–1895, married Mary Taylor, no recorded children).
Samuel Yeo (1774–1850, son of William Yeo and Margaret Bendle) married Elizabeth Wedlake at Heanton Punchardon in 1799. Their eight children included:
– Thomas Yeo (1813–1863, married Grace Knill, son John Yeo).
Samuel Yeo (1796–1851, son of Elias Yeo and Elizabeth Symons) married Esther Dean at Payhembury in 1822. Their eight children included:
– Thomas Yeo (see Thomas Yeo’s three marriages)
– William Yeo (see below)
– John Yeo (see below).
William Yeo (1798–1850, married Charity Pugsley at Swimbridge in 1830. Their seven children were born there:
– Mary Yeo (born 1830, married Henry Pedler and moved to south Wales)
– Ann Yeo (born 1832)
– William Yeo (born 1834)
– John Yeo (born 1836)
– Richard Yeo (see Richard Yeo and Ann Prowse)
– Charity Yeo (born 1841)
– George Yeo (1844–1927, married Eliza Buzzacot and Mary Ann Rottenbury, six children).
William Yeo (1826–1887, son of Samuel Yeo and Esther Dean) moved to Lancashire and married Fanny Kinsey [notes 2, 3]. Their five children were born in Salford:
– Mary Ann Yeo (1861–1876)
– Emma Yeo (1867–1906, married Henry Briggs)
– William Yeo (1869–1929, married Mary Ann Whiteling [notes 4, 5], six children)
– Sarah Jane Yeo (1872–1937, married Edward Holt)
– Samuel Yeo (1873–1943, married Betsy Pass in Salford in 1895, seven children).
John Yeo (1841–1912, son of Samuel Yeo and Esther Dean) married Elizabeth Ellis Taylor Fowler at the parish church at Littleham, near Exmouth, in 1863. They had eight children:
– Elias John Yeo (1863–1942, married Henrietta Hull, nine children)
– Minnie Yeo (1866–1945, did not marry)
– John Yeo (see John Yeo, coastguard in Ireland)
– Samuel Yeo (1873–1897, married Ethel Houghton, one son)
– Frederick Thomas Yeo (1876–1918, married Mary Jane Litton, five children)
– Louis Yeo (1880–1933, married Louise Osborne confirmation of marriage needed, also of: daughter Gladys Ena Yeo born 1907)
– Mabel Yeo (1883–1906, married Samuel Thomas Cross)
– Frank Yeo (1885–1927, married Bessie Alma Woodbury).
Do you have a connection to these Yeo lines? If you do, please use use the Contact Us page to send us a message. Paula Bennett has kindly provided information about the family of William Yeo and Fanny Kinsey. Sylvia Dibbs has also been helpful with regard to Samuel Yeo’s marriage to Betsy Pass.
1. Mary has not been identified, but the marriage record indicates that she was a spinster, living in Swimbridge.
2. Married at the parish church of St Philip, Salford on 28 October 1865. William is recorded as a 38-year-old bachelor, a private in the 64th Regiment of Foot (he would have needed the permission of his commanding officer to marry, and forfeited a day’s pay on the day of his marriage). His address is given as Salford Barracks and his father Samuel Yeo is recorded as a labourer. Fanny is a 27-year-old spinster of Lord Duncan Street; her father William Kinsey is a coffee roaster.
3. William’s army record shows that he served in India from 1846 to 1866. He was awarded the India Medal and received a commendation.
4. Bride’s name recorded as Margaret Whiteling in the civil registration record.
5. The family is recorded in the 1901 census at 9 Churchfield Street in the Oppenshaw area of Manchester, with their surname spelt Yoe. William is a 32-year-old labourer, Mary Ann is 28 and their children are Frederick (age 6), William (4) and Frances (2).