Samuel Yeo – who might have been baptised at St Blazey in 1733, see William Yeo and Mary Ralfe – married Margaret Thompson in the Plymouth parish of St Andrew in 1765. They baptised four children in the nearby parish of East Stonehouse:
– William Yeo (see below)
– Ann Yeo (baptised 1768)
– Margaret Hill Yeo (baptised 1770)
– John Richard Yeo (1773–1793).
William Yeo (1766–1802, son of Samuel Yeo and Margaret Thompson) married Mary Hart in the Plymouth parish of Charles in 1791. They too baptised their children at East Stonehouse:
– William Yeo (see below)
– Mary Ann Yeo (1796–1875, married James Brewer)
– John Yeo (see below)
– Samuel Yeo (see below)
– James Yeo (baptised 1802, died as a child).
William Yeo (1792–1868, son of William Yeo and Mary Hart) married Susannah Hearder [note 1] at Tormoham in 1816. They had eight children:
– Susannah Hearder Yeo (baptised 1820 at Teignmouth, married John Beater)
– Mary Anne Yeo (baptised 1819 at Teignmouth)
– William Hart Yeo (1821–1888)
– Henry Hearder Yeo (see below)
– John Hart Yeo (1824–1912, married Emily Susan Darke, two children)
– Sarah Yeo (baptised 1825 at Teignmouth)
– Samuel Hearder Yeo (baptised 1827 at Teignmouth, married Lavinia Elizabeth Oliver, three daughters)
– George Yeo (baptised 1829 at Teignmouth).
John Yeo (1798–1868, son of William Yeo and Mary Hart) married Sarah Thomas in the Plymouth parish of Charles in 1820. Their three children were born in Plymouth:
– Samuel Ebenezer Yeo (1826–1856)
– Sarah Ann Yeo (see below)
– Isaac Burney Yeo (1835–1914).
Samuel Yeo (1799–1871, son of William Yeo and Mary Hart) moved away from Plymouth, marrying Eliza Newman at Plympton in 1832 and settling at Teigngrace, where he established a rope making business with his son Ephraim. Samuel and Eliza’s children were:
– Ephraim Yeo (1837–1913, married Jessie Godfrey, no recorded children)
– Rhoda Yeo (baptised 1843 at Wolborough).
Henry Hearder Yeo (1823–1896, son of William Yeo and Susannah Hearder) married Diana Cannings in Warwckshire in 1851. They settled in Plymouth, where they had eight children:
– Elizabeth Canning Yeo (1853–1921, married Frederick Weekes)
– Henry Canning Yeo (see below)
– Susan Marian Yeo (1855–1951, did not marry)
– William Beater Yeo (1857–1936)
– George Hearder Yeo (1858–1914, married Grace Mary Capewell, two children)
– Diana Canning Yeo (1860–1940)
– Frederick Jackson Yeo (1862–1947, married Henrietta Mary Wood, eight children)
– Sophia Beater Yeo (1861–1949)
– Alice Horridge Yeo (1866–1942).
Sarah Ann Yeo (1829–1863, daughter of John Yeo and Sarah Thomas) married John Woodley Wellington [note 2]. They had one son:
– William Philip Yeo Wellington (born 1862 [note 3], married Florence Dagmar Magdalen Hamilton Hutchings at a Catholic ceremony in Sevenoaks, Kent in 1887).
Henry Canning Yeo (1854–1925, son of Henry Hearder Yeo and Diana Cannings) married twice. His first marriage was to Emma Rickards in London in 1889 [note 4]; his second was to Kate Elizabeth Hawkins in Berkshire in 1910. No children are recorded from either marriage.
If you can add to or correct the information shown, please use the Contact Us page.
1. Sheila researched the Hearder family and looked into the Yeo rope making business in some detail.
2. Confirmation of the date and place of this marriage is required. Sarah was unmarried in 1861 and living with her parents; she died two years later.
3. Birth registered at East Stonehouse in the second quarter of 1862 as William Wellington Yeo.
4. Henry was granted probate when Emma died in 1907. Their address is recorded as Chalgrove Cottage, Albert Road, Sutton, Surrey and Henry’s occupation as ‘merchant’. He traded in textiles; the 1901 census describes him as a jute manufacturer, agent and broker.