Leonard Yeo, the second son of John Yeo and Ann Honeychurch, had significant holdings of land at North Petherwin (probably acquired from his first marriage) and elsewhere, including Chittlehampton, Swimbridge and Hatherleigh. This wealth gave him the opportunity to re-acquire some of the former Yeo properties at Huish.
Leonard Yeo’s family was researched by Humphrey Toms and Reg Walter and features in the Visitations pedigrees.
From his first marriage, to Gertrude Ackland née Stapleton, there were four children:
– John Yeo (baptised at Chittlehampton in 1576, died as an infant)
– Ebbett Yeo (married Arthur Arscott of Dunsland, Bradford)
– Arminella Yeo (married Digory Penfound)
– Edmund Yeo (see below).
No children are recorded from Leonard’s second marriage, to Elizabeth Vaughan, widow of Hugh Vaughan of Exeter.
In 1575, Edmund Yeo of North Petherwin (1584–1636, son of Leonard Yeo and Gertrude Ackland née Stapleton) married Elizabeth Killigrew, youngest daughter of Sir John Killigrew of Arwenack, near Penryn. They had twelve children, including:
– Paul Yeo (c1610–c1680, married Elizabeth Yeo, daughter of George Yeo and Elizabeth Bassett)
– Edmund Yeo (c1620–1667, married Jane Pyne).
If you can add to or correct the information shown, please use the Contact Us page.