Sheila researched this family with a correspondent in 2002.
James Yeo (1804–1882, originally from Torquay [note 1]) moved to London and married Susannah Poole in Marylebone in 1831. They had five children in London:
– Ann Yeo (born 1834, married William Garrett, two sons)
– George Patterson Yeo (1835–1837)
– Richard McCartney Yeo (1837–1837)
– James Yeo (1838–1894, married Lydia Mary Hicks, eight children)
– Susannah Yeo (born 1841)
and then moved to Northampton, where they had four further children:
– George Yeo (1842–1898, married Sarah Ann Ellender, one son)
– Richard Yeo (1844–1847)
– William Yeo (born 1846, married Martha Whiffen, five children including William Dearing Yeo, see below)
– Henry Yeo (born 1849)
James and Susannah moved back to London; the 1851 census records them in the parish of St Sepulchre. James is a 45-year-old shoemaker; with him are his 42-year-old wife Susannah and children Ann (18), James (14), Susannah (11), George (9), Richard (6), William (4) and Henry (18 months); the eldest three children are shoemakers. They had a third daughter:
– Elizabeth Frances Yeo (born 1854).
William Dearing Yeo, son of William Yeo and Martha Whiffen, was born in London in 1890 [note 2]. The 1911 census records him as a gardener in the Surrey village of Cranleigh, and shortly afterwards he married Minnie Porter at nearby Hambledon. They had ten children:
– Leslie William Yeo (born 1912)
– Wilfred George Yeo (born 1915, married Margaret Procter in 1941, three children)
– Doris Yeo (1918–2002, married Geoffrey Veitch)
– Edwin Yeo (born 1920, married Eva Punt, son Marcus Yeo)
– Mollie Yeo (born 1922, married Allen E. Bickmore in 1943)
– Evelyn Betty Yeo (born 1924, married Francis Doidge in 1946)
– Joan Yeo (born 1925, died as an infant)
– John Yeo (born 1925)
– Olive Nora Yeo (born 1926, died as a child)
– Frank Yeo (born 1929, married Joyce Edwards [note 3], two daughters).
William died in Surrey in 1956; Minnie survived him by nine years.
If you are related to this family or can add to or correct the information shown above, please use the Contact Us page to send us a message.
1. According to Sheila’s correspondent, James’s parents were George Yeo and Elizabeth Barnsby, but this information might not be accurate.
2. Baptised at the church of St John the Evangelist, Holborn on 21 September 1890 as Willie Yeo. The parish register records his date of birth as 26 August, his father as William Yeo of 3 Leigh Street, a watchman and caretaker, and his mother as Martha Yeo.
3. Marriage requires confirmation.