James Yeo was born in humble circumstances in Barnstaple in 1859. His parents James Yeo and Betsy Laramy had married in 1856 and had nine other children. His father was a tailor.
James married Ellen Clark in 1883 and they had three sons:
– Lionel James Clark Yeo (1884–1960, married Florence Amelia Cooper, one son)
– Reginald William Clark Yeo (1885–1942, emigrated to the United States and settled in California, married Amy Marguerite Chinn, six children)
– Gerald Herbert Clark Yeo (1887–1906)
After Ellen’s death in 1893, James married Edith Florence Ralph. They had four children:
– Harold Elvery Yeo (see below)
– Edgar Leslie Yeo (1985–1937, married Dorie Hoffman, son James Alfred Yeo born 1928)
– Cecil James Yeo (born in Purley, Surrey in 1898, died on 2 July 1942 while serving as a Lieutenant Colonel with the East Surrey Regiment)
– Phyllis Jessie Yeo (1899–1972, married William Lionel Windover).
James retired as a company director and lived in the affluent area of St John’s Wood in London. When he died in 1940 his estate was valued at over £65,000.
Harold Elvery Yeo (1894–1957, son of James Yeo and Edith Florence Ralph) married Joan Priscilla Green in London in 1933. They had four children:
– Peter Harold Yeo (1934–2011, married Marlene Wiemer, no recorded children)
– Priscilla Dillworth Yeo (1936–2005, married Mark Cornwall-Jones)
– Christopher S. Yeo (born 1939) [note 1]
– Phoebe Joanna Yeo (born 1947, died as an infant).
If you are related to this family, or can add to or correct the information shown, please get in touch by using the Contact Us page.
1. Christopher might have married Angela Barrow in 1977. The marriage is recorded in the Windsor and Maidenhead registration district in the third quarter of the year: Christopher S. Hussey-Yeo and Angela M. Barrow. Is this the same Christopher Yeo? Or is Christopher Hussey-Yeo a descendant of Joseph Greek Yeo and Jane Matthews?