Vivian Skipper supplied information about this family to Sheila in 2001.
William Yeo (1763–1831, a descendant of John Yeo and Frances Holman of Launcells, was baptised in the parish of St Stephen, near Launceston on 15 November 1767. He made his living as a cordwainer, making and repairing leather boots and shoes.
From a transcription made by Humphrey Toms during a visit to England in 1973, we know of the marriage of William Yeo and Margery Rowell at Milton Damerel on 18 September 1791. The groom is recorded in the parish register as a labourer (so did he take up shoemaking later in life?) and the bride as a spinster. The record, with less detail, is also in the IGI.
There were four sons from William’s two marriages. From his marriage to Margery Rowell (at Milton Damerel on 18 September 1791) there were three and the only record of their baptisms is from a bishop’s transcript of the parish register:
– John Yeo, baptised at Holsworthy on 9 July 1794
– William Yeo, baptised at Holsworthy on the same day as his brother John; see William Yeo and Jane Fanson
– Thomas Yeo, baptised at Holsworthy on 5 January 1800 (the bishop’s transcript records his mother as Margaret), died 1818.
William’s wife Margery was buried at Milton Damerel in 1809. His second marriage (at Pancrasweek in 1811) was to Elizabeth Beckly. They had one son:
– Henry Yeo, baptised at Pancrasweek on 26 May 1811 (see below).
William was buried at Milton Damerel in 1831.
Henry Yeo (1811–1884, son of William Yeo and Elizabeth Beckley) emigrated to Canada, where he married Mary Cornforth Dobson. They had five children, all born in Ontario:
– William Yeo (1849–1925, married Rachel Ward, five children)
– Henry Yeo (1854–1917, married Jane Elizabeth Wright, three children)
– John Cornforth Yeo (1856–1937, married Jennie Moore, one daughter)
– Thomas Yeo (1858–1931, married Mattee Fowling, one daughter)
– Ruth Elizabeth Yeo (1860–1944).
Henry and Mary lived in Molesworth, Ontario and are buried at Molesworth Cemetery. The direct line of descent appears to continue through their son Henry Yeo, their grandson Percy Armstrong Yeo and their great grandson Floyd Yeo.
If you are related to this family or can add information about William’s origins, please let us know via the Contact Us page.