This couple married at Kingsteignton on 15 December 1825. According to her baptism record, Elizabeth had been born on 22 February 1808, so as she was under 21 when she married she should have needed parental permission; there is no mention of this in the marriage record.
William and Elizabeth had at least three children:
– Richard Yeo Towell (1827–1900, married Jane Bearne in 1855, three children)
– William Yeo Towell (baptised 1829)
– Sarah Jane Towell (baptised c1836)
– George Towell (born 1841)
– Mary Ann Towell (born 1843, married George Tolley at the Wesleyan Methodist chapel in Newton Abbot in 1869)
– Eliza Towell (1845–1907, married Elias Cater in 1870).
The 1851 census records William and Elizabeth at Canal House in Teigngrace, a village a short distance north of Newton Abbot. William is a 49-year-old coal merchant’s labourer, Elizabeth is 43 and the six children above are listed with them. Richard (age 22) is a clay cutter, as is William, who is 18. Sarah Jane (age 15) is a house servant. Gamekeeper John Towell (age 32) is listed as a lodger.
If you are related to this family, or can add to or correct the information shown, please use the Contact Us page.
Emma Hallett has kindly supplied information about Elizabeth’s family. She has explored a connection to Owen George Yeo via Elizabeth Yeo’s brother William Yeo, who was baptised at South Tawton in 1791. William married Mary Stanlake at Kingsteignton in 1819 and had three children:
– Mary Ann Yeo (baptised 1820, married John Hearn)
– Sarah Yeo (1820–1821)
– Sarah Yeo (1822–1905, married Richard Shapter, two children, died in the United States).
William was living near Kingsteignton in the hamlet of Preston when he died at the age of 35. He was buried at Kingsteignton on 14 January 1827. For his widow Mary see Mary Yeo née Stonelake.
Elizabeth and William’s parents have been identified as Richard Yeo (1764–1823) and Jane Rowe (1764–1834), who married at South Tawton in 1787 and baptised three other children there:
– Jane Yeo (baptised 1788, married John Gay)
– Ann Yeo (baptised 1793)
– Mary Yeo (baptised 1794, married James Coombes).