Sheila researched this line with a correspondent in 2004.
Richard Yeo was baptised at Kilkhampton in 1759 [note 1]. His marriage to Catherine Moyse at Launcells in 1774 is recorded in the parish register and dated 14 February: ‘Richard Yeo and Catharine Moyse of Poughill’.
Richard and Catherine baptised seven children at Launcells:
– William Yeo (1775–1776)
– Elizabeth Yeo (1778–1781)
– Catherine Yeo (1781-1781)
– Prudence Yeo (baptised 1782)
– Thomas Yeo (baptised 1785, married Mary Gliddon, two children including Thomas Yeo – see below)
– Richard Yeo – see below
– John Yeo (1789–1792).
Thomas Yeo (baptised 1820 at Launcells, son of Thomas Yeo and Mary Gliddon) emigrated to Prince Edward Island and married Sarah McIntyre. Their six children included:
– John Yeo (see below)
– Richard Yeo (born 1854, six children) (1890–1950
– Flora Yeo (born 1862, married William O’Meara).
Richard Yeo (baptised 1787 at Morwenstow, son of Richard Yeo and Catherine Moyse) married Grace Lashbrook at Morwenstow in 1811. Before emigrating to Prince Edward Island, they had six children:
– Susannah Yeo (1812–1904)
– Grace Lashbrook Yeo (1814–1904, married George Turner)
– James Lashbrook Yeo, see below
– Catherine Yeo (born 1817)
– John Yeo (see John Yeo and Hannah Hardy)
– Elizabeth Yeo (1821–1899, emigrated with his parents, married Patrick McCoubrey).
They had two further daughters after emigrating:
– Prudence Yeo (1821–1908, married Thomas Colwill)
– Matilda Yeo (born 1825).
Richard died in Prince Edward Island in 1871.
James Lashbrook Yeo (1816–1864) emigrated to Prince Edward Island, married Mary Hardy and had at least twelve children, including:
– George Hardy Yeo (1845–1933, married Margaret Caroline Sellick, six children)
– William Lashbrook Yeo (1847–1930, had eight children including Herbert William Yeo 1890–1950 from his marriage to Caroline Wyland and three children from his marriage to Matilda Wyland)
– Thomas Hardy Yeo (1862–1941, three children).
John Yeo (1848–1896, son of Thomas Yeo and Sarah McIntyre) married Margaret Ann Ramsay at Tignish, Prince Edward Island in 1875. They had seven children there:
– John Thomas Yeo (see below)
– Elizabeth Ann Yeo (born 1877, married Maynard Springer)
– Sarah Angelina Yeo (1879–1967, married John Burke)
– Peter Charles Yeo (born 1881)
– Richard Yeo (born 1883)
– George Daniel Yeo (born 1885)
– Mary Josephine Yeo (1887–1972, married Lawrence Kinch).
John Thomas Yeo (1875–1931, son of John Yeo and Margaret Ann Ramsay) married Ann Elizabeth Vincent; they had eleven children, including:
– Richard Daniel Yeo (born 1915, died in Normandy on 6 June 1944 while serving as a Warrant Officer with the Regina Rifle Regiment, buried in the military cemetery at Bény-sur-Mar).
Can you trace your line to this family? If you can, please use the Contact Us page to send us a message.
1. Richard’s origins are unclear. Some researchers have suggested a line of descent from Robert Yeo and Rose Cory of Stratton, but this does not appear to be correct. Was he a son of Richard Yeo and Grace Symons of Kilkhampton?