The surname variants Yahw, Yawll, Yeah, Yeawwe, Yee, Yeoe, Yeogh, Yo, Yoa, Yoahw, Yoo, Yowe and Yowwe are not included in the list of variants registered with the Guild of One-name Studies, but they will be included in the searchable resources on this site.
We have also included people who:
– have Yeo or a variant as a forename, for example Benjamin Yeo Westaway
– have Yeo or a variant as part of a hyphenated surname, for example William Yeo-Edwards
– have Yeo or a variant as a forename
– have a mother whose birth name included Yeo or a variant as a surname or forename
– acquired the name Yeo or a variant by marriage
– changed their surname to Yeo or a variant
Searching by surname is not reliable; for example, when Thomas and Mary baptised a daughter Margery at Clawton in 1674 her surname was recorded as Yea in the register. But when Margery married Frances Westlake in the same parish in 1703 her surname was recorded as Yawe.
Another example is from 18th-century baptism records for St Decumans, Somerset. Robert and Elizabeth baptised six children there between 1730 and 1740: for the first two their surname is recorded as Yew and for the remaining three it is recorded as Yaw.
See also Research by Mike Darch and David Yaw.