This couple married in north Devon in 1874 but moved to Bristol, and soon afterwards to the village of Mynyddislwyn in Monmouthshire, where they appear in the 1881 census. William is recorded as a carpenter and joiner.
Ten years earlier, William was recorded at Sutcombe in the 1871 census. He and his brother Richard Yeo were apprenticed to Samuel Dubb, a carpenter. William followed the trade of joiner and carpenter; he lived until 1931 and we have a copy of his will. His line of descent has not been researched in detail but he might have been a great grandson of Thomas Yeo and Grace Lane of Tetcott.
Mary Grace Grigg was from one of the parishes near Sutcome, possibly Tetcott. Her birth was registered at Bideford in the second quarter of 1848 and she died in 1883 at the age of 34.
William Yeo and Mary Grace Grigg had four children:
– Mary Ellen Yeo, born in 1875, married Thomas Boulton in 1895
– Thomas Edward Yeo, born in 1876, died at Fleur de Lys, Monmouthshire in 1898
– William John Yeo, see below
– Gertrude Annie Yeo, born at Fleur de Lys on 17 July 1878, a twin sister to William John; she married John Henry Watts and lived until 1961.
William John Yeo (1878–1965, son of William Yeo and Mary Grace Grigg) married twice. From his marriage to Edith Maud Williams in 1904 there were two daughters:
– Phyllis Ann Grace Yeo (1907–1998, married Wilfred John Rogers)
– Olive Mary Yeo (1909–2003, married Leslie R. Bishop)
and from his second marriage, to Bessie Dixon in 1920, two further children:
– William Albert Thomas Yeo (1922–1999, married Annie Williams in 1952)
– Valerie Elizabeth Yeo (1927–2022, married Raymond Shelton and David George Ellis Jones).
If you are descended from this family, or can add to or correct the information above, please use the Contact Us page to send us a message. Andrew Yeo has kindly done this, which has enabled us to add additional information.