Robert Yeo married Sarah Leworthy at St Peter, Barnstaple in 1797. They were both under 21 and the parish register shows that they married with the consent of their parents. Their seven children were baptised in the Barnstaple parish of St Peter:
– Susannah Yeo (baptised 1798)
– Sarah Yeo (baptised 1802, died as a child)
– Robert Yeo (see Robert Yeo and Jane Paddon)
– John Leworthy Yeo (1807–1881, married Ann Bright, two children)
– Sarah Yeo (baptised 1809, married Thomas Joce)
– William Yeo (baptised 1812, married Mary Dennis, two daughters)
– Louisa Yeo (baptised 1815).
Sarah’s parents John Edwards and Ann Leworthy had married in 1820. John – originally from Northam – had previously married Susannah Yeo (at Holy Trinity, Ilfracombe in 1794), but she had died in 1819.
Robert and Sarah had a son John Leworthy Yeo, baptised at St Peter, Barnstaple in 1807 – the parish register records him as ‘John son of Robert and Sarah Yeo’. John became a mariner and moved to Bristol. In 1851 married Bristol potter Jane Bright – the 1861 census for Bedminster records them at 3 Hartford Place, and John is now a clerk in a broker’s office.
The death of John Leworthy Yeo was registered at Barton Regis in the second quarter of 1881, with his age recorded as 74.
If you can add to or correct the information shown, please let us know via the Contact Us page.
Were Robert’s parents William Yeo and Susan Coates, who married at Holy Trinity, Ilfracombe in 1764?
Might there be a connection to any of these people?
– Joan Leworthy, who married Samuel Yeo at Stoke Rivers in 1791 and was buried at Loxhore in 1861
– John Leworthy Yeo, born at Clifton, Glocestershire in 1847 (see Creek or Greek?)
– Harry Leworthy Yeo, born at Clifton in 1883
– Lottie Leworthy, who married William Henry Yeo at Swimbridge in 1911