The word ‘alias’ occasionally occurs in records and is the equivalent of ‘otherwise known as’. It is often shortened to ‘als’. Some examples are:
– ‘John Arnold als at Yeo’ was buried at North Tawton in 1563.
– ‘Johanna filia Johis Ewen als Yoye’ was baptised at St Mary, Wolborough in 1589 and her father was buried there in 1590; ‘Tomasin Ewen als Yoye’ was married in the same parish in 1597.
– Administration of the estate of Elizabeth Yeo alias Harrell of Swimbridge was granted in 1602.
– ‘Johan Arnell als Yeo’ married Vincent Morell at Halberton in 1630.
– ‘Richard Yeo alias Tricke’ was baptised at Morwenstow in 1683 to parents Francis and Jone Yeo. ‘John Yeo alias Trick’ was baptised in the same parish thee years later to parents Francis and Joyce Yeo.
– ‘Robert Rooke alias Yew’ was buried at Cannington in 1698.
– ‘Mary Yeo als Williams’ married Thomas Hawkins at Cannington in 1724.
– ‘William and Mary Yeo als Bowden’ baptised a daughter Mary at Christow in 1709. ‘Georg Yeo alias Bowden’ married Rebecca Hore in the same parish in 1744.
– ‘Matilda Emily Yeo alias Nicholson’ married Thomas Somers at St Mary, Dublin in 1872. Matilda’s surname had become Yeo after a previous marriage; Nicholson was her original surname.
- The Yeo One-name Study
- Contact Us
- Online resources
- The main Yeo lines
- Surname distribution – England and Wales
- The Yeo diaspora
- Yeo and variant lines in . . .
- Yeos in Virginia
- Yoes from Pennsylvania
- Yeos of Bradworthy
- Yaws from Germany?
- Baptisms and marriages in India and Persia
- Yeos of St Veep and St Cleer
- Yeos in Bristol
- Yeos in the Clergy
- Yeos on the James Baines
- Henry and Jane Yeo of Camborne
- Yeos in Newfoundland
- Morwenstow to Montreal
- Stoke Damerel, Exeter, London and Australia
- Pedigrees and images on commercial web sites
- Pedigrees and individuals researched by Sheila Yeo
- Pedigrees by other researchers
- Pedigrees currently under research
- Can you help?
- Your help is needed
- A wealthy servant
- A butcher from Hill Head?
- A puzzle from Polperro
- Humphrey Yeo and Jame Hambley
- John Yeo and Katherine Harris
- Samuel Yeo of Peters Marland
- William Yeo and Mary Deyman
- Descendants and ancestors of Thomas Martin and Joanna Yeo
- Sophia Yeo Marks, Sophia Yeo Dunn and Sophia Yeo Scott
- Joseph Yeo and Ann Voysey
- John Yeo and Charlotte Widger
- Richard Yeo and Catherine Moyse
- John Yeo and Jane Windsor
- Descendants of John Yeo and Frances Holman
- Luxmoore Yeos
- Rebecca Celia Yeo
- Robert Yeo and Sarah Leworthy
- Emigration diaries
- Creek or Greek?
- Henry Yeo and Martha Byrne
- Morwenstow to Montreal
- Leslie A. Yeo – a case of mistaken identity?
- Richard Piper Yeo – artist and photographer
- The Great Storm
- Research by Mike Darch and David Yaw
- Notes and links
- How these notes might help you
- Other notes and links
- Further surname variants
- The past is a foreign country
- Mothers’ maiden names
- A woman who never existed – Jane Leonora Yeo
- A Yeo who was not a Yeo – Henry Albert Dunning (1843–1914)
- Or was she called Ellen?
- Realignment of the border between Cornwall and Devon
- Divided by a common language?
- Otherwise known as …
- In memoriam
- Apprenticeships in England
- John Yeo and Rebecca Rolle – a marriage that joined two Yeo lines
- Thomas Yeo and Dorothy Heard
- DNA testing
- Useful Links